przejdz do zawartosci



font size A A A

Medical Care

The European Health Insurance Card allows the EU and EFTA state citizens to use necessary medical services in Poland at the expense of their own state. Citizens of other states must pay for all medical services.

During a stay in Poland, free medical services are offered to the EU citizens and four EFTA (European Free Trade Association) states: Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein and Switzerland. Tourists from the above-mentioned states should acquire the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before travelling.

Basic medical care

In order to receive basic medical care in the event of, for example, a cold, one must go to see a doctor that has signed an agreement with the National Health Service (NFZ) and present the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) or a replacement certificate. Basic medical care covers medical tests and consultation with the GP. The GP may refer you for further diagnostic tests, to a specialist or hospital.

In Poland, no referral is necessary if you need to see: the gynaecologist, dentist, dermatologist, oncologist, optician or the psychiatrist.


In the case of an emergency, injury, childbirth, sudden disease or health deterioration, patients should either call an ambulance or go directly to a hospital, to the A&E department. In such cases, medical transport is free of charge. In hospital, you must present your European Health Insurance Card or a replacement certificate.

Emergency service phone numbers:

stationary phones 999

mobile phones 112

Remember that the EHIC card is valid for 2 months. This period is prolonged to 5 years for, e.g. students, retired people and pensioners.

More information about EHIC cards at:

National Health Service’s website:

European Commission’s website:

Tell a friend | Printable version


Show - turystyka on a bigger map